Assistant Prosecutor - Rosebud Sioux Tribe
Position: Assistant Prosecutor
Supervisor: Attorney General
Location: Rosebud Sioux Tribe, Rosebud, SD.
ESSENTIAL DUTIES and RESPONSIBILITIES: Must have basic knowledge of civil and criminal law, methods, and practices of pleadings. Working knowledge of court procedures. Working knowledge of principles, methods, materials, and practices utilized in legal research. Ability to speak, and write effectively in the preparation and presentation of legal matters. Must have knowledge, and experience using computers, word processing, and electronic legal research.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall institute proceedings before Judges of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe for the arrest and convictions of persons charged with criminal offenses against the Rosebud Sioux Tribe, or the people of the Rosebud Sioux Tribe.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall prosecute or intervene for the Rosebud Sioux Tribe in all tribal courts civil matters in which the Rosebud Sioux Tribe may be a party, or may be interested or concerned.
- The Assistant Prosecutor, when directed by the Chief Prosecutor to prosecute civil actions in the Rosebud Sioux Tribal Courts against those convicted of criminal offenses for the restitution of any property or money due to the Rosebud Sioux Tribe.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall keep a record of activities of the Prosecutor, and enter every action prosecuted, criminal, and civil.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall consult on a frequent basis with the Chief Prosecutor.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall meet with the Rosebud Sioux Tribal Police concerning criminal or other matters.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall review Rosebud Sioux Tribal police reports for criminal charging.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall interview victims and witnesses to prepare criminal charging.
- The Assistant Prosecutor represents the Rosebud Sioux Tribe in all stages of the criminal proceedings, including arraignments, probable cause hearings, suppression hearings, trials, mental illness cases, and alcohol commitment cases.
- The successful applicant must have a desire and energy to work with people in and out of court and courtroom settings.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall take cases through the appeal process at the requests of the Chief Prosecutor.
- To act as Assistant Prosecutor in juvenile cases when appointed by the Chief Prosecutor.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall prepare and provide monthly reports to the Chief Prosecutor.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall attend meetings regarding activities, needs, and accomplishments of the Tribal Prosecutor’s Office, when requested to do so.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall maintain strict confidentiality in all work aspects.
- The assistant Prosecutor shall uphold Rosebud Sioux Tribal Court Personnel Ethics Code.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall exhibit consistent professionalism and courtesy to coworkers, clients, and the public.
- The Assistant Prosecutor shall be responsible for all other duties assigned.
- Juris Doctorate Degree from an accredited Law School. Previous legal and courtroom experience will be considered in lieu of a degree.
- Applicants must also demonstrate competence in criminal and civil advocacy.
- This position is one where contact with the public is of great confidence.
- Must be of high moral character and integrity.
- Must never been convicted of a felony for which he or she has not received a pardon.
- Applicant will be required to take, and pass the Rosebud Sioux Tribal Bar at the earliest date following employment.
- Must have knowledge of computer word processing software, and experience working with Microsoft Word and Excel
- Must have a South Dakota Driver’s License, and be able to successfully pass a background and drug testing.
For more information Contact Sharon Guerue 605-747-3193 or email@example.com
Applications can be found online at https://www.rosebudsiouxtribe-nsn.gov/employment
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Doctoral