Job ID: 19651
Agency: South Dakota Department of Revenue
Salary: $69,300 to $108,000 annually, depending on experience
Pay Grade: L2 - L3
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time position with the South Dakota Department of Revenue. For more information on the South Dakota Department of Revenue, please visit https://dor.sd.gov/.
Why the Department of Revenue
At the Department of Revenue, culture is everything. It’s at the heart of what we do for our employees, community, and our customers – the citizens of South Dakota. Our work is driven with a vision to create an open and collaborative environment that provides professional customer service, contributes to a favorable economic climate, and is accountable to the citizens of South Dakota. Sound like a good fit? As a Department of Revenue employee, here’s what you’ll experience:
- Innovation – We are always looking for new ways to push forward and evolve.
- Professional growth – We provide new challenges for you to tackle and provide valuable trainings.
- Career development – Investing in our employees’ development through our onboarding, mentoring, and leadership programs.
- Fit – We promote a flexible work/life balance while you do what you do best every day.
- Collaboration – You have the ability to work with all divisions within the department as a member of the legal team.
- Giving back to the community – We offer opportunities to support local organizations throughout the year.
Who we want
- an attorney interested in practicing within a broad range of legal subjects, including, but not limited to: taxation, Indian law, motor vehicle, alcoholic beverages, tobacco, lottery, and gaming;
- a highly motivated and experienced attorney with a passion for service and desire to make a difference;
- a dedicated individual who will represent the Department of Revenue with strong leadership skills and legal advice on a wide range of highly visible and sensitive issues.
What you will do
The duties of the Attorney include:
- representing the department before state and federal court;
- preparing briefs and participating in oral arguments;
- providing legal services to all divisions with the department;
- drafting administrative rules and assisting with the promulgation process;
- providing legal advice to the Secretary, Deputy Secretary, and Division Directors of the department;
- drafting and reviewing contracts and Requests for Proposals;
- collaborating with other State agencies and departments.
What you need:
- graduate of an accredited law school;
- licensed to practice law in South Dakota or ability to become licensed shortly after employment.
The ideal candidate will have:
- experience in state and federal court;
- knowledge of litigation practice and strategies;
- prior experience or interest in tax law and/or Indian law;
- excellent written and verbal communication skills;
- ability to analyze complex technical issues, facts, evidence, and precedents to arrive at a logical interpretation;
- ability to develop and maintain strong relationships with diverse groups.
Equally as important will be a strong work ethic and interpersonal skills, discretion, confidentiality, and a positive attitude!
If you enjoy a fast pace, working with a fun group, and are comfortable both implementing and accepting changes, you're going to enjoy this position!
Additional Requirements: To be considered, please include a cover letter, resume, law school transcripts, and a writing sample.
This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus eleven paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
Must apply online:
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
South Dakota Bureau of Human Resources
Telephone: 605.773.3148 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"
Job Type : Full-Time