Deputy States Attorney - Brookings County
POSITION TITLE: Brookings County Deputy State’s Attorney I
REPORTS TO: State’s Attorney
FLSA STATUS: Exempt
WAGE GRADE: 13
DESCRIPTION OF WORK
General Statement of Duties
Handles the prosecution of misdemeanor cases for Brookings County. Assists the State’s Attorney and Chief Deputy State’s Attorney as needed with the prosecution of adult criminal matters and civil work on behalf of the County. Reports to the State’s Attorney.
EXAMPLES OF DUTIES: (Any one position may not include all of the duties listed, nor do the listed examples include all duties which may be found in positions of this grade.)
- Prepare and manage a caseload of predominantly misdemeanor cases.
- Assist law enforcement with involuntary mental health committals. Assist with civil representations of the County.
- Present cases for legal proceedings. Perform legal research. Prepare, draft, and file legal documents and correspondence.
- Review offenses, police reports, and evidence to make determination on charges. Prepare, send, and track subpoenas for witnesses and records. Prepare and interview witnesses for legal proceedings.
- Stay informed on changes in relevant law and statutes and proposed legislation and policy pertaining to criminal law, juvenile delinquency, and juvenile abuse and neglect.
- Communicate, correspond, and collaborate with parties involved in cases including victims, parents, school personnel, attorneys, court personnel, and law enforcement regarding procedures and actions for those cases.
- Respond to inquiries from the public. Make recommendations for custody, parental rights, sentences, and restitution.
- Represent the State's Attorney's Office at public, private, and inter-governmental programs and events.
- Train and educate volunteers, law enforcement, and social workers on their roles and duties on legal issues and the court process duties.
- Answer, handle, or direct phone calls and walk-in traffic from clients and the general public regarding legal concerns and questions.
QUALIFICATION FOR APPOINTMENT
Required Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities
- Ability to prepare clear, concise, and accurate documents.
- Ability to understand and follow both verbal and written instructions quickly and accurately.
- Ability to communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective relationships with employees, other agencies, and the public.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality when handling sensitive information.
- Ability to display efficient use of time and proficient organizational skills with specific attention to detail.
- Extensive knowledge of modern office practices, procedures and equipment including computers, scanner, calculator, fax machine, copy machine, etc.
- Extensive knowledge and skill in the use of computers and computer programs to include Microsoft Word, Access, Excel, PowerPoint, Exchange and the Internet.
- Obtained Juris Doctorate degree and is licensed to practice law in the State of South Dakota, or will be prior to the start date.
- 0-3 years experience in prosecution, litigation, or criminal law.
Please send cover letter and resume to State’s Attorney Dan Nelson Dnelson@brookingscountysd.gov
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Doctoral