South Dakota Legislative Research Council—Pierre, South Dakota
The Legislative Research Council, which is the nonpartisan research and support staff to the South Dakota State Legislature, is accepting applications for a permanent, full-time Legislative Attorney. An applicant must have an interest in the legislative process and be results oriented, honest, discrete, trustworthy, and articulate.
Duties and Responsibilities: A Legislative Attorney will assist legislators by providing accurate, objective, and relevant research information, informed by a professional understanding of the law. The significant duties include the following:
1) Compile data and conduct general and legal research for legislative committees and individual legislators and present alternative solutions for their consideration;
2) Confer with and advise legislators on legislative legal questions;
3) Draft and edit bills, resolutions, and amendments to implement legislators’ ideas;
4) Staff standing committees of the South Dakota Legislature during legislative sessions, consult with committee chairs to develop agendas and obtain testimony, prepare committee reports, and draft amendments to bills;
5) Staff interim committees of the Legislative Research Council, consult with committee chairs to develop agendas, assist with meeting arrangements, prepare background materials, and prepare final reports;
6) Review administrative rules for form, style, clarity, and compliance with statutory authority;
7) Research and write issue memoranda and develop other resources on selected topics for review and use by the Legislature, Legislative Research Council staff, and the public; and
8) Help develop prison and jail population cost estimates for legislation impacting prison and jail populations.
1) A Juris Doctorate from an ABA-accredited law school; and
2) An active license in good standing with the State Bar of South Dakota, or the ability to become eligible for and become admitted to the State Bar of South Dakota within one (1) year after employment.
1) Very strong writing skills;
2) Strong research and analytical skills;
3) A willingness to expand expertise into various subject areas;
4) The ability to communicate, both orally and in writing, in a manner which can clearly and efficiently convey information to legislators and the public;
5) Proficiency in word processing and spreadsheet development; and
6) The ability to work under tight deadlines and extended hours during the legislative session.
Salary Range: For an entry level Legislative Attorney, the annual salary will range from $61,114 to $91,670, with a midpoint goal of $76,392. For a Senior Legislative Attorney with previous related experience, the annual salary will range from $74,262 to $111,394, with a midpoint goal of $92,828. Actual starting salary will depend on qualifications and experience.
Application Process: This position will remain open until filled. This position is exempt from the Career Service Act and is employed at will. Any application or resume submitted for consideration will be kept confidential. Applications (consisting of a letter of interest and resume) should be submitted via hard copy or e-mail to:
Reed Holwegner, Director
South Dakota Legislative Research Council
500 East Capitol Avenue, Pierre, SD 57501
E-Mail: Legis.Resume@sdlegislature.gov | Phone: 605-773-3251
"An Equal Opportunity Employer"
Job Type : Full-Time