Paralegal - East River Legal Services (Sioux Falls)
East River Legal Services (ERLS) is seeking to hire a Paralegal. This position is in our Sioux Falls, South Dakota office. We are a non-profit law firm serving low-income individuals in the 33 Eastern South Dakota counties. ERLS exists to better the lives of the over 52,000 people living in poverty in Eastern South Dakota. We offer free legal services to our community's veterans, older Americans (60+), individuals with disabilities, victims of crime, and all those facing financial insecurity and/or homelessness.
Under the supervision of the Managing Attorney, the Paralegal assists Attorneys in maintaining a large caseload that can include a variety of different types of cases. The Paralegal is responsible for keeping files organized (physical, Legal Server, and the electronic shared drive) and being the first point of contact for clients, regarding their day-to-day communication needs.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Initiates contact with new clients: Completes initial compliance documentation and sets up meetings with clients to gather initial information, depending on the type of case;
- Maintains client files from open to close;
- Drafts proposed letters, pleadings, discovery requests, and other documents for Attorney review;
- Works with Attorneys on each case to assist clients and continue case progression;
- Maintains open communication with clients to ensure they are updated on the status of their case;
- Files and serves legal pleadings;
- Assists with outreach events statewide and locally, if requested;
- Participates in meetings as part of East River Legal Services and the Legal Team;
- Complies with all regulations, grant requirements, and internal operating and personnel policies;
- Other duties, which may be assigned from time-to-time by the Managing Attorney and/or the Staff Attorneys.
- Knowledge of legal principles and legal research methods;
- Ability to draft legal instruments and documents, under the supervision of an Attorney;
- Ability to handle numerous tasks concurrently;
- Displays ethical conduct and exhibits honesty and integrity;
- Displays a high level of initiative, effort, and commitment towards completing assignments efficiently;
- Works with minimal supervision and asks for clarification and/or assistance, when needed;
- Listens to others and responds appropriately.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- Graduation from an accredited Paralegal program; or
- Graduation from an accredited two-year or four-year college; or
- A minimum of 3 to 4 years’ experience/knowledge in a particular field of law;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple clients and responsibilities;
- Proficient at the use of technology including, but not limited to: word processing, spreadsheets, internet-based programs, database systems, and computer-based legal research;
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, and self-motivated;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently;
- Skills and experience in interacting with persons of various social, racial, cultural, economic, and educational backgrounds;
- Being bilingual is strongly preferred, but not required.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary based on experience. Benefits include paid holidays and vacation days, parental leave, health, dental, vision, travel reimbursement, Life, AD & D, and IRA.
$38,000.00 - $45,000.00 per year
Interested applicants should send their Cover Letter and Resume to:
East River Legal Services
Attn: Melissa Frericks
335 N. Main Ave., Suite 200
Sioux Falls, SD 57104-6038
Or Email to:
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Job Type : Full-Time