Staff Attorney Position
East River Legal Services (ERLS) is a non-profit organization. We serve low-income individuals in the Eastern half of South Dakota covering 33 counties. ERLS strives to improve the lives of the people we serve in a wide variety of ways from helping them find resources in the community to assisting them with their civil legal issues in and out of Court. ERLS represents people from all walks of life who qualify for our benefits including but not limited to veterans, older Americans, people with disabilities, victims of crime and people of any race, nationality, or gender.
Our office is currently seeking to hire highly motivated attorneys interested in working with low-income individuals and provide them with equal access to Justice. We strive in our office to work as a team and fulfill the needs of our clients.
Applicants will be expected to meet the following job requirements:
• Conduct and oversee client interviews, investigation, field investigations, and fact gathering
• Provide high-quality legal representation or advice to clients on housing, family law, protections orders, guardianships and other related matters in state court and administrative proceedings in Eastern South Dakota
• Conduct a full range of litigation activities, including drafting pleadings, conducting depositions, completing discovery, negotiations, motions practice, and represent our clients at trial.
• Provide education and outreach to members of the community, service providers, and community organizations
• Work in collaboration with community organizations that provide rental assistance, domestic violence support, and other services available to support our clients
• Keep well-informed of the applicable laws and case laws as they develop and change to ensure that the program is applying new laws properly
• Keep accurate records of case activities and provide the necessary information to meet grant and other reporting requirements
• Perform other duties which may be assigned from time to time by the Managing Attorney or Executive Director
• JD admitted to practice in South Dakota or be eligible for admission to the South Dakota State Bar.
• Strong written and oral communication skills
• Ability to spot legal issues in cases and comfort with providing real-time counsel & advice
• Experience working independently with minimal supervision
• Excellent negotiation and organizational skills
• Ability to relate well and work with low-income clients and collaborate with community organizations
• Capacity to work in a high-volume environment and a changing court and policy landscape
Compensation depends on experience. Benefits include, vacation and sick leave, paid holidays, medical, dental, vision, life, mileage reimbursement/per diem for covered travel. Additionally, ERLS pays professional dues including the cost for an out of state attorney to waive into the South Dakota State Bar Association. The position will report directly to the Managing Attorney.
Interested applicants should email a cover letter and résumé to Melissa at firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be accepted until June 17, 2022 by 5:00 p.m., or until the position is filled.
ERLS is an Equal Opportunity Employer (EEO). We prioritize equity and inclusion in our organizational culture and hiring. We encourage all applicants regardless of race, gender identity, sexual orientation, religion, national origin, age, disability, parental status, marital status, formerly incarcerated individuals or on any other identity factor to apply.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : ""
Experience Level : ""
Job Function : ""