Staff Attorney’s-Sioux Falls
Staff Attorney’s-Sioux Falls
East River Legal Services (ERLS) is seeking to hire several Staff Attorney’s. These positions are in our Sioux Falls, South Dakota office. We are a non-profit law firm serving low-income individuals in the 33 Eastern South Dakota counties. ERLS exists to better the lives of the over 52,000 people living in poverty in Eastern South Dakota. We offer free legal services to our community's veterans, older Americans (60+), individuals with disabilities, victims of crime, and all those facing financial insecurity and/or homelessness.
Under the supervision of the Managing Attorney, the Staff Attorney will represent victims of crime in all areas of law including housing, family law, protection orders, landlord/tenant disputes, evictions, utilities, public benefits, consumer, and other civil matters. The types of services provided include legal advice, brief service, and/or extended representation. Aside from direct representation, the Staff Attorney may also, from time-to-time, prepare and deliver client training and other community education, appear in administrative and judicial forums, and contribute to special legal and community projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct and oversee client interviews, investigation, field investigations, and fact gathering;
- Provide high-quality legal representation or advice to clients on housing, family law, protection orders, guardianships, and other related matters in state court and administrative proceedings in Eastern South Dakota;
- Handle a full range of litigation activities including drafting pleadings, conducting depositions, completing discovery, negotiations, motions practice, and representing ERLS clients at trial;
- Provide education and outreach to members of the community, service providers, and community organizations;
- Work in collaboration with community organizations that provide rental assistance, domestic violence support, and other services available to support our clients;
- Keep well-informed of the applicable laws and case laws as they develop and change to ensure that ERLS is applying new laws properly;
- Keep accurate records of case activities and provide the necessary information to meet grant and other reporting requirements;
- Perform other duties which may be assigned from time to time by the Managing Attorney or Executive Director.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- JD admitted to practice in South Dakota or be eligible for admission to the South Dakota State Bar;
- Strong written and oral communication skills;
- Ability to spot legal issues in cases while providing real-time counsel, comfort, and advice;
- Experience working independently with minimal supervision;
- Excellent negotiation and organizational skills;
- Ability to relate well and work with low-income clients;
- Ability to collaborate with community organizations;
- Capacity to work in a high-volume environment with a changing court and policy landscape.
Salary and Benefits:
Salary based on experience. Benefits include paid holidays and vacation days, parental leave, health, dental, vision, travel reimbursement, Life, AD & D, and IRA.
$53,000.00 - $65,000.00 per year
Interested applicants should send their Cover Letter and Resume to:
East River Legal Services
Attn: Melissa Frericks
335 N. Main Ave., Suite 200
Sioux Falls, SD 57104-6038
Or Email to:
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
Job Type : Full-Time