Staff Attorney - Sioux Falls
Staff Attorney-Sioux Falls
East River Legal Services (ERLS), a civil non-profit law office, seeks an attorney to assist with ensuring victims of crime remain safe, retaining housing for families, and preserving limited household resources to ensure that low-income South Dakotans can be self-sufficient. ERLS creatively uses legal remedies and support to advocate for the most vulnerable members of our communities.
Under the supervision of the Managing Attorney, the Staff Attorney will represent clients primarily in family law. Other practice areas at East River Legal Services include housing, public benefits, and consumer matters. The types of services provided include legal advice, brief service, and direct representation. Aside from direct representation, the Staff Attorney may also, from time to time, prepare and deliver client and community education, appear in administrative and judicial forums, and contribute to special legal and community projects.
Duties and Responsibilities:
- Conduct and oversee client interviews, investigation, field investigations, and fact gathering;
- Provide high-quality legal representation or advice to clients on housing, family law, protection orders, debt collection, guardianships, and other related matters in state court and administrative proceedings;
- Offer high-quality legal representation or advice to clients on bankruptcy and federal Social Security benefits (preferred, hut not required);
- Handle a full range of litigation activities including drafting pleadings, conducting depositions, completing discovery, negotiations, motions practice, and representation of ERLS clients at trial;
- Stay well-informed of the applicable laws and case laws as they develop and change to ensure that East River Legal Services is applying new laws properly;
- Keep accurate records of case activities and provide the necessary information to meet reporting requirements;
- Participate in meetings as part of East River Legal Services and the Legal Team;
- Comply with all regulations, grant requirements, and internal operating and personnel policies;
- Provide education and outreach to members of the community, service providers, and community organizations;
- Work in collaboration with community organizations that provide rental assistance, domestic violence support, and other services available to assist our clients;
- Perform other duties, which may be assigned from time to time by the Managing Attorney or Executive Director.
Knowledge, Skills, & Abilities:
- JD admitted to practice in South Dakota or be eligible for admission to the South Dakota State Bar;
- Admittance to the US District Court of South Dakota is preferred, but not required;
- Ability to spot legal issues in cases while providing real-time counsel, comfort, and advice;
- Excellent communication skills, both verbal and written;
- Ability to prioritize and manage multiple clients and responsibilities;
- Proficient at the use of technology including, but not limited to: word processing, spreadsheets, internet-based programs, database systems, and computer-based legal research;
- Must be detail-oriented, organized, and self-motivated;
- Ability to work effectively as part of a team and independently;
- Ability to handle numerous tasks concurrently;
- Skills and experience in interacting with persons of various social, racial, cultural, economic, and educational backgrounds;
- Bilingual language skills are desired and compensated, but not required.
Classified as an exempt employee.
$60,000 to $70,000/year, depending on experience.
Benefits include 13 paid holidays, vacation leave, sick leave, health insurance, dental insurance, vision insurance, Life Insurance, AD&D Insurance, IRA, and travel reimbursement.
Please send a cover letter, resume, and references to:
East River Legal Services
335 North Main Avenue, Suite #200
Sioux Falls, SD 57104
Open until filled
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Doctoral