Trust Examiners - Sioux Falls or Pierre
Division of Banking – Trust Examiner – Sioux Falls or Pierre
Job ID: 23485
Salary: $52,500 annually
Closing Date: Open Until Filled
This is a full-time, 40 hours weekly, position with the South Dakota Division of Banking, part of the Department of Labor & Regulation. For more information on the Division of Banking, please visit https://dlr.sd.gov/banking. The Division of Banking regulates the state’s banking, trust, and financial services industries to assure that our citizens have confidence in our state’s financial markets and services. We are seeking an inquisitive individual with analytical and communication skills to join our team of professional Financial Institution Examiners in either Pierre or Sioux Falls.
Examiners at the Division of Banking enjoy:
- Training – Effective on-the-job training is combined with annual off-site training at locations such as Hilton Head, SC; Arlington, VA; and Boston, MA; among others.
- Pay Advancements – Salary increases are offered for successful work performance and completion of formal trainings.
- Positive working environments – Enjoy having your own office while still working as part of a knowledgeable and supportive team.
- Personal growth – Develop comprehensive knowledge of the financial industry while developing leadership and communication skills.
- Advancement – Successful examiners will receive numerous certifications with internal promotional opportunities available.
As part of a team, you will:
- determine the financial condition of state-chartered trust institutions;
- evaluate adequacy of trust institutions’ internal control procedures;
- determine compliance with State and Federal statutes related to banking, trust, licensing, and consumer protection;
- evaluate investment portfolios and decision-making to determine suitability;
- review and evaluate the oversight and governance structure of trust institutions;
- make recommendations on findings;
- investigate consumer complaints related to supervised trust institutions.
The ideal candidate will have:
- A bachelor's degree in trust, banking, finance, accounting, or a related field with an advanced degree preferred. Professional experience that leads to mastery of the following knowledge and abilities will be considered.
- Knowledge of accounting and auditing principles and procedures; the organization of banks and trust companies; financial and fiduciary work environments; fiduciary principles; trust-related statutes and regulations; and Microsoft Office products and management information systems.
- Skill to communicate concisely and effectively with co-workers, financial institution personnel, and examiners from other agencies; gather, interpret, report, and use financial information; understand and interpret federal and state trust regulations; effectively manage time and prioritize tasks.
Additional Requirements: To be considered, attach your resume, letter of interest, writing sample & post-secondary transcripts
This position is exempt from the Civil Service Act.
This position is eligible for Veterans’ Preference per ARSD 55:10:02:08.
Successful applicant(s) will be required to undergo a background investigation. An arrest/conviction record will not necessarily bar employment.
The State of South Dakota does not sponsor work visas for new or existing employees. All persons hired will be required to verify identity and eligibility to work in the United States and complete an Employment Eligibility Verification, Form I-9. The State of South Dakota as an employer will be using E-Verify to complete employment eligibility verification upon hire.
The State of South Dakota offers employer paid health insurance plus ten paid holidays, generous vacation and sick leave accrual, dental, vision, and other insurance options, and retirement benefits. You can view our benefits information at https://bhr.sd.gov/job-seekers/work-for-state-government/. This position is a member of Class A retirement under SDRS.
You must apply online, emailed resumes or submissions will not be accepted.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree