UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY COURT - DISTRICT OF SOUTH DAKOTA
UNITED STATES BANKRUPTCY COURT
DISTRICT OF SOUTH DAKOTA
Notice of Position Vacancy
Position Title: Term Law Clerk to U.S. Bankruptcy Judge Laura L. Kulm Ask (Full-time)
Location: Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Position Available: January 17, 2023
Salary: $66,214 - $94,373 (JSP 11-13)(based on qualifications)
Announcement Number: 22-01
Closing Date: November 25, 2022, or until filled
Type of Appointment: Two years with the possibility of renewal or appointment to a career law clerk position.
This position will be a Term Law Clerk for the Honorable Laura L. Kulm Ask, United States Bankruptcy Judge for the District of South Dakota. The position is for a two-year term beginning January 2023, with the possibility of renewal or appointment to a career law clerk position.
REPRESENTATIVE DUTIES INCLUDE:
Reviewing pleadings that come before the Court to determine the issues involved and the basis for relief;
Reviewing dockets and monitoring progress on matters;
Reviewing and potentially screening motions and draft orders for judge’s review;
Drafting of bench memorandums for the judge’s consideration;
Performing extensive legal research, proofreading orders and opinions while verifying citations, and preparing legal documents such as draft orders, memoranda, and opinions;
Assisting with case management responsibilities including preparation for conferences and general docket management tasks;
Attending court hearings and trials, and assisting the judge at those;
Maintaining liaison between the Court and litigants, including communicating with counsel;
Keeping abreast of changes in the law and briefing the judge on them; and
Performing miscellaneous administrative duties and other duties as assigned.
The candidate must be a U.S. citizen or eligible to work in the United States, a graduate from a law school of recognized standing by the American Bar Association or the Association of American Law Schools, and have one or more of the following attributes:
- Standing within in the upper one-third of their law school class;
- Experience writing for a law review or on a moot court, externship or clinical program; or
- Demonstrated proficiency in legal studies, which in the opinion of the judge, is equivalent to one of the above. The determination of an acceptable equivalence rests with the judge.
- An academic background in bankruptcy or secured transactions coursework
- Excellent legal research and writing skills
- Ability to effectively communicate, both orally and in writing
- Good organizational, computer, and word processing skills
- Ability to work effectively and well with others in a team-based environment
- Ability to maintain confidentiality, uphold the court’s ethical rules and exhibit good judgment, maturity, dependability and responsibility
- Ability to manage time and prioritize tasks to meet deadlines
- Previous experience as a federal law clerk or practicing attorney is highly desirable
The selected candidate will be required to undergo an FBI fingerprint check through the FBI Criminal Justice Information Services Division. The successful candidate for this position is subject to a full National Crime Information Center (NCIC) background records check.
This position falls within the Judicial Branch of the United States Government and includes most federal benefits. Term Law Clerks are not eligible to participate in the Federal Employee Retirement System or the Thrift Savings Plan. Employees are not classified under Civil Service, but are entitled to similar benefits as other Federal employees. These benefits include:
- 11 paid holidays
- Optional participation in choice of health plans, dental and vision insurance programs, group life insurance program, long term care insurance, and pre-tax flexible spending account plan for certain expenses
HOW TO APPLY:
Interested persons should email a completed Application for Judicial Branch Federal Employment (Form AO 78), cover letter, detailed resume, a writing sample, and a law school transcript in a single .pdf document to firstname.lastname@example.org . Applicants selected for an interview may also be asked to provide a list of references prior to the interview.
- Only qualified applicants will be considered for this position.
- Interview and relocation expenses will not be reimbursed.
- Electronic direct deposit of salary payment is mandatory.
- All court employees are at-will employees, and therefore the appointee may be removed from this position at any time.
- Travel may be required.
- The court reserves the right to modify the conditions of this job announcement or to withdraw the job announcement without any prior written notice or other notice.
- Employees engaging in work for the District of South Dakota are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of vaccination will be required to entrance on duty.
- Employees must adhere to a Code of Ethics and Conduct which is available to applicants for review upon request.
- The United States Bankruptcy Court is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : ""
Experience Level : ""
Job Function : ""