Yankton County Deputy State's Attorney
Department: Yankton County State’s Attorney
Reports to: Yankton County State’s Attorney
FLSA Status: Exempt
Probationary Period: 180 days
• The Deputy State’s Attorney performs routine legal work in the prosecution of civil and criminal crimes, juvenile crimes, and juvenile abuse and neglect cases in Yankton County as well as representing the State in mental illness proceedings.
Key Responsibilities (may not include all of the functions performed)
• Reviewing offenses and evidence to make determination on charges and prosecuting violations of state law.
• Reviewing requests for subpoenas, petitions and other legal documents.
• Advising county offices and commissions on legal issues.
• Attending legal proceedings.
Supervise support staff and interns.
Represent the State’s Attorney Office at public, private, and inter-governmental programs and events.
Train and educate volunteers, law enforcement, and social workers on their roles and duties on legal issues and the court process duties.
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
Working knowledge of civil and criminal law and methods and practices of pleadings, court procedures, and rules of evidence.
Working knowledge of principles, methods, materials, and practices utilized in legal research.
Working knowledge of general law and established precedents.
Ability to prosecute cases.
Ability to speak and write effectively in the preparation and presentation of legal matters.
Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with coworkers, other agencies, and the public.
Ability to maintain professional appearance and demeanor.
Graduation from a college of law.
Attainment of a Juris Doctorate degree from an accredited law school.
Admission by the Supreme Court of South Dakota to practice law in the state of South Dakota; or be licensed to practice law in any other state and able to take the next available South Dakota bar examination; or be a recent or imminent law school graduate, eligible to sit for the next available South Dakota bar examination.
Ability to draft and use computer programs
Interested applicants can send a cover letter and resume to Rob Klimisch at firstname.lastname@example.org or Yankton County State’s Attorney 410 Walnut #100 Yankton, SD 57078.
Job Type : Full-Time